The Joslin Diabetes Center is committed to its employees. As part of this commitment, the Center offers a highly competitive benefits program.
Here is a brief overview of the benefits available to our regular employees working at least twenty hours per week (Benefit offerings differ slightly for fellows, investigators, physicians, and senior management). You are eligible for most benefits starting on your date of hire.
- Medical: You have two choices offered through Tufts Health Plan – HMO, PPO and POS. The Center makes a major contribution of 75% to 80% of the cost of each plan; your share is paid with pre-tax dollars.
- Dental: The Delta Dental Plan provides coverage for a wide range of dental services, including orthodontia. The Center pays a portion of the cost of dental insurance; your share is paid with pre-tax dollars.
- Health Care Reimbursement Account: This account lets you set aside tax-free dollars (up to $4,000 per year) to pay for any out-of-pocket health care expenses not (or only partially) covered by your medical and dental plans. In addition, you can use these tax free dollars to also pay for many over the counter items.
- Basic Group Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment: The Center provides eligible staff members with a life insurance benefit equal to two times the staff member’s base salary (up to a benefit maximum of $500,000), fully paid by the Center.
- Supplemental, Spousal and Dependent Life Insurance: You may purchase additional life insurance up to an amount of $500,000. If you purchase supplemental life you can also elect to add life insurance for your spouse or same-sex spousal equivalent up to an amount of $250,000 and for your dependent children up to an amount of $10,000. This insurance can be purchased at a low group rate, and if supplemental and spousal life insurance are purchased upon hire, it will be approved without providing any proof of medical insurability. This benefit is effective the first of the month after three months of employment.
- Voluntary Short-Term Disability Income Insurance: Eligible employees have the option to participate in the Voluntary Short-Term Disability Plan. The cost of this plan is paid 100% by the employee. Coverage will be effective on the first of the month following three months of employment and will provide weekly disability income up to 60% of salary, capped at specific plan maximums from which you can chose. The staff member receives the benefit pay after fourteen days of absence due to a medical disability. Contact Human Resources for details.
- Long-Term Disability Income Insurance: The Center provides eligible staff members with a long-term disability income benefit which provides up to 60% of you monthly income, to a benefit maximum of $5,000 per month. The cost of this plan is fully paid by the Center.
- Voluntary 403 (b) Savings Plan: Staff wishing to save for retirement may voluntarily invest in a 403(b) plan funded through a tax deferred, payroll deduction up to the IRS savings limit each year. Staff members are eligible to begin participation in this tax-deferred retirement savings program at any time during their employment. Staff may choose from TIAA-CREF funds. Additional information is available from Human Resources.
- Cash Balance Pension Plan: The Center provides a retirement plan at no cost to eligible staff members. Eligibility to participate occurs on the first of the month after the staff member has completed two years of service, has worked 1000 hours each year, and is at least 21 years of age (you will be contacted by the Center when you are eligible to enroll in the plan). The Center contributes an amount equal to 5% of salary up to the social security wage base and 10% above the social security wage base (capped at the legal limit.) An enrollment form and Allocation of Investment form must be completed and returned to Human Resources. Staff may choose from TIAA-CREF funds.
FAMILY/SELF CARE SERVICES
- Dependent Care Reimbursement Account: You can have a pretax deduction taken from your paycheck to cover the costs for eligible dependent care expenses (maximum contribution is $5,000 per year).
- Child Care: The Center may have space available with the Longwood Medical Area Childcare Center, which provides high-quality child day care services (space is limited so please contact the Benefits Representative with inquires).
- Fitness Memberships: Employees may select from several fitness options in the Longwood Area (Joslin’s Fitness Center, Boston Sports Club, BodyScapes, or the Be Well Tanger Center). Monthly fees vary and some monthly fees can be paid through payroll deductions.
- Employee Assistance Program: You and your family members have access to confidential counseling and professional guidance to help with personal or work-related problems.
COMMUTING TO JOSLIN
- MBTA Monthly Pass: You receive a 30% discount on all MBTA passes and your portion of the cost is paid with pre-tax dollars.
- Parking: Discounted parking is available in several Longwood area parking lots, and you pay your portion of your parking fees with pre-tax dollars (similar to the MBTA 30% discount).
- MASCO Shuttle Service: Free rides are provided between the Center and various parking lots and MBTA stops near the Center (please refer to MASCO.org).
PAID TIME OFF PROGRAM
- Earned Time (E.T.): On a biweekly basis, full-time staff accrue 160 hours (20 days) per year of earned time (ET) and 40 hours (five days) per year of extended illness (EI). Part time benefits-eligible staff accrue these hours on a prorated basis. Once an employee completes the 90-day Introductory Period, he/she is eligible to use Benefit Time. ET may be used for vacation, short-term illness, or personal time off. Maximum ET accruals are capped at 160 hours for full-time and prorated for part-time staff. Unused ET hours are cashed out upon termination of employment.
- Short Term Disability (STD): Joslin provides benefits eligible employees a company paid short term disability benefit in the event you experience a non-work related covered injury or sickness. After an employee is out of work due to their injury or sickness for 14 consecutive calendar days, benefits will begin and will continue up to a maximum of 11 weeks. Short term disability benefits are calculated at 60% of your weekly earnings, up to a maximum of $2,500 or $3,000 per week depending upon your salary level and position. If your disability continues beyond 13 weeks, additional protection is provided through Joslin’s long term disability benefit. Please contact Human Resources for more details.
- Long Term Disability (LTD): Joslin provides company paid long term disability benefits for benefit eligible employees who are unable to work after 90 days due to a covered injury or sickness. LTD benefits are calculated at 60% of your monthly earnings up to a maximum of $5,000 or $10,000 per month, depending upon your salary level and position. Applicable federal and state taxes will be withheld from
- Holidays: The Center observes 11 or 11 1/2 holidays per year depending upon what day of the week Christmas falls. One of the holidays is discretionary and may be used after a staff member has completed the 90-day Introductory Period. The Discretionary Holiday must be used during the calendar year and may not be carried over to the next year. If a staff member is required to work on a holiday, he/she may take another scheduled day off two weeks before to four weeks after the holiday. Part-time, benefits-eligible staff will receive prorated holiday pay based upon their standard hours. The Holiday Schedule is available for staff on the Joslin Intranet and from Human Resources.
- Staff Member Referrals in the amount of a $500.00 cash bonus
- Direct Deposit
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Verizon and AT&T Service Discounts
- Personal Insurance through One Beacon Insurance Company (Home, Auto, Umbrella, etc.)
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) in accordance with federal and state laws
For more information on benefits, contact the Human Resources Office at (617) 732-2595
Working at Joslin
Page last updated: May 21, 2019